Friday, January 10, 2014

Eye gotcha!

Another etude of an eye that i'm working inspired from David Kassan youtube video. I was adopting a method I picked on and thought of trying it myself. Check on his drawing videos (lots of 'em), and you'l know what I'm talking about.

As in my previous practice, I would articulate light reflections by using the kneaded eraser and culminate a highlight with a white charcoal. That would leave the toned paper as a midtone value. In Kassan's method he crosshatch the light with white charcoal then subdue it by wiping it off and do the highlight by applying again with white charcoal. But what strike me most was his line, " I am not drawing the eye by drawing (outlining) the eye itself. I am defining it by its values that sit around it". That clicked logic right off the bat. What a genius idea on how to tackle drawing in a different way! That brings me to a conclusion that the lesser the lines (outlines), the better the drawing, and to always think drawing with values not with lines. You probably knew that already as I might have heard it before, but such concept would never sit in your nuggin' until you applied it and hit in the nail. (...so I thought) Happy drawing!


No comments:

Post a Comment