Saturday, July 6, 2013

Clint

Caricature in black and white charcoal, 11x14 ins.

I believe that every artist has to study the philosophy of the Art to improve their skill or level.  With practice, anyone can draw what they see, but few would notice more details.  The same applies in the discipline of Music.  Some might be able to emulate the music by listening to it repeatedly, but the learned ( in classical, for that matter) musicians hears the emotions, the phrase, the timing, the follow through of the sound at all corners of the room, and other nuances that amateurs can never discern.  Learn how light/shadows behaves in objects. Why is it better to think in shapes and not in linear. What are the principles behind values, edges, colors and its temperature? And a lot more.  Even masters never cease to learn.  Superstar athletes never stop practicing after signing a big fat contract.

I realized that I need to search and read more with depth that will help me understand more of my craft. However, I would never claim or declare that I know a lot already.  I know where I stand, and my works can only speak for its own level. And I'm only stating the fact from my own experience. Things that I learned from school are far less compare to the understanding and learning I gathered from books. 

Sources are ample enough if we really make an effort.  I go to university or public libraries.  Internet is even astronomical. Searching for a specific mentor you like that specializes certain discipline or technique also helps.  Some of them offer sessions for small classes, but their prices come a bit hefty. Youtube is a popular resource.  My point is, if you need to hone your skills you have to think harder and make a meaningful effort to make it happen.  "There is no royal road to success", as they say. It's never enough to just practice blindly and commit the same mistakes over and over, lest that you develop bad habits that prevents you from moving forward. Be wise. I hope this little idea helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment