Monday, July 8, 2013

George Lucas

Work in progress in black and white charcoal.

 Materials:
a. black and white General charcoal pencils.
b. kneaded eraser
c. stumps for blending
d. soft brush
e. 11x14 inches Strathmore toned gray medium paper
f.  General  charcoal powder.
g. Sofft knife and cover (optional) for early stage of linear drawing

The process:
1. By blocking the face it helped me map out the size of the face and center it on the paper. I use as minimal lines as possible.
2. Blocking the dark and light in the simplest way at the early stage helps me define features of the face.
3. Within the dark areas I started lifting the lights tones while defining  more of the linear features like eyes, nose, and sides of the face. See upper right corner image.
4. It will help me see more of the reflected light and define them with more conviction if I darken the surroundings. See the image on the upper middle- more darker and lighter tones. I started to see the waves of the hair and its highlights.
5. The big image on the left is spent mostly figuring out different tones involved. This is where I have to make clear where my light source(s) is/are.  On this image the source is directly above the head.
...see the next posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment